Thursday, April 27, 2023

Please welcome the (Winter's) Myth, the Legacy, the Author, Gage Greenwood!


Gage Greenwood is a proud member of the Horror Writers Association and Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers association. He's the author of four hit serials on Kindle Vella, and the host of Gage Greenwood Writes on YouTube.
He's been an actor, comedian, podcaster, and even the Vice President of an escape room company. Since childhood, he's been a big fan of comic books, horror movies, and depressing music that fills him with existential dread.
He lives in New England with his girlfriend and son, and he spends his time writing, hiking, and decorating for various holidays.

Find out more, or contact me: www.gagegreenwood.com

Facebook  Gagents Of Chaos

Amazon    Winter's Myths  Winter's Legacy (Winter's Myths Book 2)  

 


 The Tough Questions...

 •    Where is your favorite place to write? Read?
To write: at the kitchen table. I sometimes write on the couch, but getting too comfortable allows me to distract myself, or get sleepy. Sitting at the kitchen table, with the sunlight coming through the sliding door, gives me a much-needed focus.
To read: Lying down on the couch, head propped by one hand, book held open by the other. 

•    What did you want to be when you grew up?
I know it sounds like a lie, but I wanted to be writer. When I was a kid, my mom was a professional poet. On top of that, my brother informed me that Arnold Schwarzenegger didn’t come up with his own lines, and I felt betrayed. I knew movies were fake, but I had presumed the actors made the story up as they went. Haha. When I learned that someone else wrote the lines for the actors to perform, I thought, “Well, who is THAT guy? Why don’t we know much about him. He’s the one coming up with all this cool stuff happening.”

•    What is one thing you need when you sit down to write?
Nothing. As a parent, I have learned to adapt to writing wherever and whenever I can, no matter how much Earth-shattering noise is happening all around me.

From BOH reader Heather L.
•    Chili – beans or no beans?
No beans at home, but beans if you need to stretch it for an event or chili cookoff. But honestly, if someone is handing me chili, I’m not complaining either way. 

•    Who’s your favorite superhero and why?
Spider-Man, because when I was dorky kid growing up, I used to come home after being bullied all day and read his comics where he was much the same way, but still went on to do great things (and not just superhero things. His natural intelligence was also a part of his character). There was a recent storyline where Doctor Octopus took over Spider-Man’s body, and when he went to fight a bad guy, he punched the guy’s head clean off. That was when Doctor Octopus realized that for all those decades of fighting Spider-Man, Spider-Man was always holding back. He was fighting enough to win, but never trying to truly hurt anyone. He gives people second chances. He believes in humanity. I love that. 

•    DC or Marvel and why is it Marvel?
Because Marvel is easily the best. No question. 

•    You need to hide a body - who do you call to help you?
My friend who is really, really good at eating contests. He will eat the evidence for me.

•    Favorite song to belt out in the shower?
Lately? Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift.

•    What animal would you be and why?
Sloth. Lemme just chill, mmmkay?

•    If you were stranded on a deserted island with all your human needs taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you?
My son, and something fun for him to do. He loves art, so maybe a package of one million crayons and markers. We can skin some trees to make paper.

•    Next project (what are you currently working on)?
Bunker Dogs. It’ll be out July 1st. The tagline is “Don’t just fear what you’re hiding from. Fear what you’re hiding with.” It’s about a girl who is forced to hide in a bunker when a war breaks out, but as soon as she gets down there, she realizes she isn’t alone. And what’s hiding down there isn’t happy to have company.

•    Scary movies - complete darkness or all the lights on?
Darkness. Immerse me!

•    Cats or dogs?  Dogs.

•    Who would you stalk?
I’ll assume you mean harmless social media stalking, in which case, I am all up in Miley Cyrus’s Instagram.

•    What inspired you to start writing?
My mom. She was a published poet in the 80’s.

•    How old were you when you wrote your first story?
9 or so. It was really bad Ninja Turtles fanfic before fanfic was a term people used regularly.

•    What is your favorite book/story you wrote?
Probably Winter’s Myths. I get to stretch genres and play around as much as I want. The weirder I get, the more it works for that story. I think a lot of people think it’s all silly and weird, but it’s got a lot of heart, and I try to make it have its moments of poignancy. Plus, I can’t stop thinking about the characters. They are my friends.

•    Who is your current favorite author?
It’s hard not to say Stephen King or Joe Hill, but I also love Sarah Langan, Clay Chapman, Tremblay, and Yaa Gyasi

•    What is your favorite genre?
Horror/Dark Fantasy

•    Favorite horror movie?
The 1989 Pet Sematary, or the 1980 The Changeling.

•    Favorite book of all time?
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, or Pet Sematary

•    Cake - vanilla or chocolate?
Vanilla, but I would much rather have weird flavors like Maple.

•    Pizza - pineapple or definitely never on a pizza?
Sure. It’s not my go to, but I don’t see the fuss. Now, black olives can go right to hell.

From BOH reader Derek T.
•    Is there a particular author that inspired you to write horror?

Cheesy answers, but King or Poe

•    Are there any things required when you write?, i.e., listening to certain music? an adult beverage? complete silence? stuff like that.
Nah, with a child running around, I have learned to adapt to writing under any circumstances.

•    Skittles or Starburst?
Starbursts, but you can have all the pinks.

•    Do you read or write anything that's not horror?
I read every genre imaginable. I love history books, memoirs, fantasy and sci-fi, and none genre fiction. I also write Dark Fantasy. Winter’s Myths and Winter’s legacy are less horror than most of what I write. It’s there a little, but it’s more post-apoc dark fantasy with a hell of a lot of weirdness.

•    Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island, please discuss.
It’s also my home state! Not only is it not a road, but most of the roads can hardly be called roads either. They are just swiss cheese pothole fests. And while it is not an island in the typical sense, it is a metaphorical island of taxes. I should note, I love my home state, and I am only kidding.

•    How do you feel about pants?
Wear them but would rather the laws allowed me not to.

•    Dogs, cats or ferrets?
As a pet or who would win in a fight? My money goes to the ferret, but as a pet, I’d take the dog. I need something with as low energy as I have.

•    Mountains or beach?
Beach, but preferably on a low wind day, although I guess that would be true if I picked mountain, too.

•    Does pineapple belong on pizza?
Yes, but black olives do not.

•    What's your favorite taco?
There has never been a taco that wasn’t my favorite taco.

•    Would you go to space?
My readers think I am already living there, and I wouldn’t want to break the illusion, so yes! I live there. But also, and don’t tell anyone, heck no. I’m afraid of heights, so rocketing upward sounds awful to me. But I guess if humanity is hellbent on making this rock uninhabitable, I may have to someday.

•    Do you eat supper or dinner?
I snack all day. It’s just one big meal. A Bruncher. But I would say dinner. Supper sounds like I have more money than I actually do.

•    Favorite ice cream?
Something with gooey caramel.

•    Were you a good student?
No. I had a lot of trouble as a kid. I excelled in school at tests and such, but I got in a lot of trouble, and spent a lot of time in detention or on suspension.

•    Who was your childhood crush?
Kelly Kapowski on Saved by the Bell

•    Your favorite thing on French fries?
Buffalo sauce

From BOH reader Shannon E.
•    What’s something you want to learn/ get better at?
I spent a few years training to become a Jeopardy contestant by former Jeopardy contestants. I loved learning so many new things from a variety of topics, and while I have long since given up on the dream of getting on the show, I still enjoy learning from a range of topics. Geopolitical history seems to be a topic I can never get enough of. For a more fun answer, I would love to learn how to play an instrument. When it comes to music/singing, I can best be described as an abomination to the ears, so I would love to change that.

•    Why did you decide you wanted to be an author?
My mom was a published poet in the 80’s and she really rubbed off on me. I also didn’t like when I found out actors weren’t making up their lines as they go, and it offended me that we didn’t know much about the people who wrote those movies. I wanted to be the guy in charge of the story, not someone just playing it out.

•    Is there anything you don't eat?
Yes, black olives. Yuck. Also, as someone who likes to eat non-meats when he can, I can’t stand any vegan product made from jackfruit. Bleck. It’s the worst.

•    If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be?
For my son to have a long, happy, healthy life.
For me to go out known as someone who tried to do right by others
A large section of woodland with a cabin in the middle and bunker hidden somewhere within.

•    If you could have 1 hour to sit down with anyone and talk? Who would it be and what would you talk about?
My mom. I would let her know how much I love her and tell her I am sorry for all the mistakes I made after she died.

•    What makes you unique?
Nothing and everything. We are all the same. We are all completely different. But, also, I am extremely good at Tetris.

•    What's something about you that no one else knows?
I love Cap’N Crunch.

•    What’s Something You Want to Learn or Wish You Were Better At?
Foreign languages, playing an instrument. Oh, I would love to be a good dancer. I have no rhythm. I dance a lot, but I would not go viral on tiktok unless it was because folks were laughing at me.

•    Know Any Good Jokes?
I did stand-up comedy for years, so I know quite a few, but since it was my profession, I would need you to pay for admission before I can tell you any.

•    What’s Something That Bugs You?
That I can’t make the Earth a perfect world for my son to grow up in.

•    What’s the Most Embarrassing Thing You Can Remember That’s Happened to You?
This is tough, because I am a constant embarrassment, but I don’t really get embarrassed. I once drunkenly argued that Ben Franklin stole all his ideas from Tesla. Yes, Ben Franklin.

•    What’s Your Favorite Place on Earth?  Home

•    Who Are the Special People in Your Life? My son. My girlfriend. Aubrey Plaza.

•    What’s Something You’re Proud of?  9 years sober.

•    If your life were a movie who would play you?  A less handsome Joseph Gordon Levitt.

•    If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be?
Stephen King. Then I would spend the day blurbing Gage Greenwood’s books. Or I would be someone super rich, and I would donate all my money to Gage Greenwood.

    If you could have a superpower what would it be?
Breakdancing. I don’t know why people don’t realize that is a superpower.

•    What would you do if there was zombie apocalypse right now?  Probably die.

•    What were you like as a child? Shy and creative. Weird as hell.

Additional from me.
•    What is one tip you would like to share with an aspiring author?

Like 95 percent of people who say they want to write a book won’t do it, so don’t doubt yourself. Finish the book and you’ll already be elite.

•    Are you a pantser or plotter?

Pantser for sure. But I always know where the story will end. It’s just getting there where I let things get wild on their own.

Thank you Gage for stopping in! www.gagegreenwood.com Facebook  Gagents Of Chaos

Amazon    Winter's Myths  Winter's Legacy (Winter's Myths Book 2) 

Comment on this post to be entered for this month's giveaway drawing or you can use the FORM to sign up too.

 

4 comments:

  1. Linda Bloodworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome interview!! Loved reading this and finding out such cool info. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! It was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Demons, witches and things that go bump in the night with Elizabeth J. Brown 😱

Elizabeth was born in Kent, England. This probably explains her obsession with tea and cake. She currently writes the Brimstone Chorus ser...