Wednesday, May 24, 2023

I braved The Cannibal Peaks to get this interview with Guy Quintero.


I was born in the highlands of Scotland, where I died a brutal death for my clan. I resurrected miraculously. I have been alive for four and a half centuries and I am immortal. There can be only one.
But, when I’m not sword-fighting other immortals for their heads in San Diego, California. I am simply mild-mannered veteran and author, Guy Quintero.
I write an eclectic blend of dark fantasy, horror, thriller, military, action, the occult, and supernatural within my current series; The Unholy Slaying Agency. This was chosen because of my love for the occult, adventure, and my experience in military service. Stephen King says to write what you know. My dream was to combine all those aspects into something entertaining for my readers.

Free Chapters  Website   Instagram   Barnes & Noble   Amazon   TikTok

 


 

 The Tough Questions

 •    Where is your favorite place to write? Read?
I enjoy writing in my home or at a coffee shop. I prefer my home, where I can crack open the window and enjoy the beach breeze. I usually need a caffeine beverage depending on the time of day. My favorite place to read is usually in crypts or mausoleums, where I can slap at my ears hoping that cock roaches and other carrion insects aren’t crawling into them. I usually can’t get much reading done there, but that doesn’t stop me from trying. Most times I end up going home to read in my living room or bed.

•    What did you want to be when you grew up?
I grew up on the mean streets of Camp Pendleton. Life was hard being a military brat. Gang banging was the only way to survive. I had to set trip and sell rocks to make ends meet whenever my father was deployed to war. My mother, bless her heart, was a banker. We had plenty of money and I quit the gang life after three days, when no one else would join my crew. Realized it wasn’t for me and that MTV wasn’t having a negative effect on my outlook. Plus, I enjoyed wearing more than one color of clothing. And have you tried running with your pants sagging that low? It’s not comfortable. I traveled the world with my family, living on both coasts and even seeing Japan, Spain, and Puerto Rico as a boy. I consider SoCal to be my home, especially San Diego since I graduated high school and planted roots here.

•    What is one thing you need when you sit down to write?
A cup of blood from this morning’s sacrifices, and Nina at my side.

•    What is one tip you would like to share with an aspiring author? Never give up. And don’t doubt yourself.

•    Are you a pantser or plotter? I write by the seat of my pants.




From BOH reader Heather L.
•    Chili – beans or no beans? Beans. Most definitely.
•    Who’s your favorite superhero and why? Dr. Strange. I can relate with him the most.

•    DC or Marvel and why is it Marvel? Neither. As a boy, I enjoyed reading Image comics the most, with Spawn, WitchBlade, Pit, and The Darkness.

•    You need to hide a body - who do you call to help you? My brother.

•    Favorite song to belt out in the shower? Carry On My Wayward Son.

•    What animal would you be and why? A giant squid. I think it would be cool to attack people in boats.

•    If you were stranded on a deserted island with all your human needs taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you? Nina and a bible.

•    Next project (what are you currently working on)? My current project will be book 3 for the Unholy Slaying Agency series. ‘Door to Darkness’ features Butcher and Diver Team, battling sleep paralysis demons. They come into conflict with each other during their investigation into why thousands of children aren’t waking up from their sleep. This takes them beyond the comforts of reality into a realm of madness and terror, inhabited by insane creatures that do the bidding of their queen. The real name of this place is Pandemonium. But, there was a psychically gifted little girl who astral projected there in the 1800s by accident. Thanks to her powerful abilities and innocence the girl escaped unharmed. She recalled her adventures to a man named Lewis Carrol, who dubbed this place Wonderland.

•    Scary movies - complete darkness or all the lights on? Darkness.
•    Cats or dogs? Both.
•    Who would you stalk? Fallon Raynes. Hehehehe…

•    What inspired you to start writing? I’ve always had a love for storytelling. It resonates from deep within and I can’t really explain why.

•    How old were you when you wrote your first story? I was 12 when I wrote my first manuscript. It was terrible. lol

•    What is your favorite book/story you wrote? Goblin Wars. It’s a side project of mine that I am working on, combining comedy and fantasy.

•    Who is your current favorite author? Carl Jung
•    What is your favorite genre? Horror
•    Favorite horror movie? Predator
•    Favorite book of all time? The Magician’s Companion by Bill Whitcomb

•    Cake - vanilla or chocolate? Vanilla.
•    Pizza - pineapple or definitely never on a pizza? Only heretics put pineapple on pizza.


From BOH reader Derek T.

•    Is there a particular author that inspired you to write horror? Stephen King.
•    Are there any things required when you write?, i.e., listening to certain music? an adult beverage? complete silence? stuff like that. I enjoy listening to music playlists that I put together from indie composers and soundtracks. My current favorite is Graham Plowman.

•    Skittles or Starburst? Junior mints, Foo!
•    Do you read or write anything that's not horror? Yes. Fantasy is a love of mine. I think that all horror novelists tend to blend fantasy with their work. I like to consider myself a dark fantasy author as well.

•    Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island, please discuss. That’s an ignorant question. Gosh! It was named after Tony Stark’s homie, Colonel Rhodes. Bruh, half of us would be gone right now if it wasn’t for the Avengers. Show some respect.

•    How do you feel about pants? Overrated.
•    Dogs, cats or ferrets? All of them.
•    Mountains or beach? Mountains. The beach is cool, but I see it damn near every day.

•    Does pineapple belong on pizza? Only sociopaths put pineapple on pizza.
•    What's your favorite taco? Cali tacos: Carne Asada, with heavy guac, pico de gallo, and French fries.

•    Would you go to space? Yes. But only if I could bring Nina.
•    Do you eat supper or dinner? Dinner. Supper is for chumps.
•    Favorite ice cream? Soft serve blizzards.
•    Were you a good student? Nope.

•    Who was your childhood crush? Stephanie Garcia
•    Your favorite thing on French fries? Carne asada, guac, sour cream, and lots of cheese.


From BOH reader Shannon E.
•    What’s something you want to learn/ get better at? Alchemy.
•    Why did you decide you wanted to be an author? I enjoy entertaining people with my imagination. That is my main goal.

•    Is there anything you don't eat? I try to avoid pork and unclean animals. Accidents happen.

•    If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be? More money than Elon Musk, Nina to live forever, have Netflix turn the USA series into a show.

•    If you could have 1 hour to sit down with anyone and talk? Who would it be and what would you talk about? I would want to sit down with God. Definitely ask questions on how to reach true enlightenment.

•    What makes you unique? I’m growing a second row of teeth.
•    What's something about you that no one else knows? I hold the record for most failed attempts at joining a pyramid scheme.

•    What’s Something You Want to Learn or Wish You Were Better At? Alchemy.
•    Know Any Good Jokes? What has four legs and one arm? A pitbull in a playground.

•    What’s Something That Bugs You? The stock market and how hedge funds/corporations manipulate it while SEC does nothing to stop them.

•    What’s the Most Embarrassing Thing You Can Remember That’s Happened to You? When I was on a recon patrol one time in Iraq, I had eaten something terrible that made my stomach erupt. My team found a nice man and his family that let me use their restroom and I broke their only toilet. I was so embarrassed. The family was very kind and I gave them $40 which was like a fortune to them, to compensate for their loss.

•    What’s Your Favorite Place on Earth? My house.
•    Who Are the Special People in Your Life? My manager, my brother, my furbabies, my mother, my aunt, my cousins.

•    What’s Something You’re Proud of? Publishing my debut novel ‘A Whisper in the Dark’ was my proudest moment. I felt like I achieved my true calling.

•    If your life were a movie who would play you? Hoping Dwayne Johnson or Samuel L. Jackson.

•    If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be? I’d love to switch bodies with Nina. Then, she’d have to be the responsible one while I run amok.

•    If you could have a superpower what would it be? I want to be able to predict stock market trends years before they happen.

•    What would you do if there was zombie apocalypse right now? Fill all my containers with water and sit back in my house.

•    What were you like as a child? Chubby, quiet, nerdy, dorky, with a big imagination.



Thank you Guy for stopping at my blog (I think... 🤔). 

Free Chapters  Website   Instagram   Barnes & Noble   Amazon   TikTok

Comment on this post to enter this month's giveaway or you can use the FORM

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I find Guy and his work so fascinating. I just finished The Cannibal Peaks and it was excellent. Door to Darkness sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Demons, witches and things that go bump in the night with Elizabeth J. Brown 😱

Elizabeth was born in Kent, England. This probably explains her obsession with tea and cake. She currently writes the Brimstone Chorus ser...