Monday, May 8, 2023

RJ Roles dropped off some Pieces Of... himself for you to read. 😁


From 100 word drabbles, to full length novels, RJ Roles is an author that takes pride in his various works of fiction. He is the founder of the Books of Horror, and co-founder of Crimson Pinnacle Press with Jason Myers. His fiction tends to lean toward the realistic side of horror, where  humans are the real monsters. He lives a quiet life with his wife and many cats in southern West Virginia. Find him on his author page www.facebook.com/groups/AuthorRJRoles  RJ's Website   Crimson Pinnacle Press

 


The Tough Questions

●    Where is your favorite place to write? Read?

I don’t really have a particular favorite place to write. It’s really whenever I get to time, and wherever that might be at that moment. Reading, I like to have a nice quiet place, sitting in a chair.

●    What did you want to be when you grew up?

I always wanted to be an archaeologist when I was younger. I’ve always been fascinated with history in a variety of subjects.

●    What is one thing you need when you sit down to write?

Definitely something with caffeine in it!

●    What is one tip you would like to share with an aspiring author? 

Finish your stories. Even if you don’t publish them. Writing is a muscle and the more you work it out, the stronger it will become. 

●    Are you a pantser or plotter? 

Pantser, all day. Though I mentally plot points I want to hit. Always writing in my mind until I can get it on the page.

From BOH reader Heather L.
●    Chili – beans or no beans? If it’s for hotdogs, absolutely no beans! Otherwise, yes.

●    Who’s your favorite superhero and why? Batman. I don’t know why, but I’ve loved the character since I was 3yo when the 1989 movie came out. And still do to this day.

●    DC or Marvel and why is it Marvel? DC all day! lol. I didn’t know anything from marvel except Spiderman or the X-men until the live action movies started to come out.

●    You need to hide a body - who do you call to help you? Jason Myers. He lives in Ohio and I’m pretty sure that’s where everyone takes a body they need to dispose of.

●    Favorite song to belt out in the shower? Like any sane person, pick any Rush song.

●    What animal would you be and why? A cat because they are the chosen animal.

●    If you were stranded on a deserted island with all your human needs taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you? A pencil, and a big ass notebook.

●    Next project (what are you currently working on)?  Too many! But the one I can talk about is the Books of Horror Community Anthology Vol. 4

●    Scary movies - complete darkness or all the lights on? Complete Darkness. Always.

●    Cats or dogs? Cats. Duh.

●    Who would you stalk? That creep in the mirror that always stares at me.

●    What inspired you to start writing? I had been a reader for so long and then became friends with a few writers and started reading their stuff. It sparked ideas of my own and gave me the itch to get them out of my head.

●    How old were you when you wrote your first story? Seventeen or so, I wrote a few flash fiction pieces about my friends from school on an old typewriter I found.

●    What is your favorite book/story you wrote? The Eternal Sisterhood series is very special to me in that those books are the longest ones I’ve worked on, but also for connecting me with a lifelong friend, collaborator, and business partner, Jason Myer

●    Who is your current favorite author? There are probably a hundred or more I can list off easily, but one that everyone should be watching is M Ennenbach. Beautiful prose, and thinks outside the box.

●    What is your favorite genre? Horror
●    Favorite horror movie? The VVitch
●    Favorite book of all time? Catcher in the Rye
●    Cake - vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate
●    Pizza - pineapple or definitely never on a pizza? It’s perfectly fine at times.


 

From BOH reader Derek T.
●    Is there a particular author that inspired you to write horror? Three really help me get started, Justin M. Woodward, J.Z. Foster, and Jay Sigler. All have amazing works of their own. For an author I strive to be, Robert McCammon. His work spans the genre and he does it beautifully.

●    Are there any things required when you write?, i.e., listening to certain music? an adult beverage? complete silence? stuff like that. I prefer to write in silence. I used to listen to podcasts, but found I would just tune time out completely. And Caffeine!

●    Skittles or Starburst? Skittles.

●    Do you read or write anything that's not horror? I don’t think I do, but what I do write doesn’t really fall under one category or sub-genre. I pull a little from all corners of Horror.

●    Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island, please discuss. You said it, and it’s on the internet, so it must be true.

●    How do you feel about pants? Necessary, unfortunately. Shorts whenever possible.

●    Dogs, cats or ferrets? Cats.

●    Mountains or beach? I’m from West Virginia, give me those mountains any time.

●    Does pineapple belong on pizza? Sure, why not.
●    What's your favorite taco? The one in front of me that’s about to get demolished.
●    Would you go to space? I absolutely would!
●    Do you eat supper or dinner? Dinner.
●    Favorite ice cream? Chocolate or strawberry.

●    Were you a good student? I don’t think I was at all. Remembering back, a classroom environment probably hindered me in learning.

●    Who was your childhood crush? Topanga.
●    Your favorite thing on French fries? Salt and ketchup


From BOH reader Shannon E.
●    What’s something you want to learn/ get better at? Writing. Always. If you’re not working to improve your craft, what’s the point?

●    Why did you decide you wanted to be an author? To keep that voices in my head from screaming. Lol.

●    Is there anything you don't eat? Asparagus. Gross.

●    If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be? Good health for me and my loved ones. For all of my friends to be happy and fulfilled in their pursuits. A new pair of socks everyday for the rest of my life.

●    If you could have 1 hour to sit down with anyone and talk? Who would it be and what would you talk about? My uncle, and I’d give the hour to my aunt so she could talk to him one last time.

●    What makes you unique? Sigh. I guess I have a big heart. Maybe to a fault. Sigh.

●    What's something about you that no one else knows? Most don’t know my real name.

●    What’s Something You Want to Learn or Wish You Were Better At? I’d love to be fluent in multiple languages. Spanish, Latin, German.

●    Know Any Good Jokes? How do you make a blonde laugh on Monday? Tell them a joke on Friday.

●    What’s Something That Bugs You? Times. New. Roman… Gross.

●    What’s the Most Embarrassing Thing You Can Remember That’s Happened to You? Never trust a fart!

●    What’s Your Favorite Place on Earth? Wherever my wife and cats are.

●    Who Are the Special People in Your Life? Too many to list all of them, but my wife, my sister, and all the friends in the horror community that have become family.

●    What’s Something You’re Proud of? Many things, but what comes to mind is helping folks that wanted to become authors, take the first step, or words of encouragement. Being supportive in a world that wants to see people fail.

●    If your life were a movie, who would play you? My wife says Jonah Hill. I say Jack Black.

●    If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be? Duncan Ralston, and I’d apologize for all the terrible crimes he’s committed. LMAO.

●    If you could have a superpower what would it be? Flight. Easy.

●    What would you do if there was a zombie apocalypse right now? Hunker down. I’m ready.

●    What were you like as a child? Introverted AF. Not much has changed.



Thank you RJ for stopping by!  www.facebook.com/groups/AuthorRJRoles  RJ's Website   Crimson Pinnacle Press

Comment to be entered in this month's giveaway, or you can use the FORM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Demons, witches and things that go bump in the night with Elizabeth J. Brown 😱

Elizabeth was born in Kent, England. This probably explains her obsession with tea and cake. She currently writes the Brimstone Chorus ser...