Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Justin Boote - AKA J. Boote with his new release "Am I A Monster"


Justin Boote/J. Boote

I was born in England but have been living in Barcelona for over 30 years. I started writing about 8 years ago, short horror stories only until I turned to novels some 3 years ago. At the time of writing I have written over 200 short stories, around 50 of which have been published in various anthologies. Currently, I have written around 15 novels, most of which have already been published. A year ago I decided to try extreme horror and to date have written 3 novellas and 2 novels under my pen name, J. Boote. No awards as yet, but working on it haha!
 

 J. Boote - Amazon USA   Justin Boote - Amazon USA 

 Am I A Monster

Six years ago, not one but two monsters came to Belton, causing widespread terror until both were eventually caught. The villagers thought they were safe again.

They were wrong.
Sarah is ecstatic. She has just received an email informing her that her first novel has been accepted by a publisher and will soon be published in all major bookstores. Her parents decide to book a trip to Barcelona, somewhere Sarah has always wanted to go, to celebrate. Sarah tells her friends at school then a boy she has had a crush on for years overhears her telling the good news and invites her out. Sarah cannot believe how everything is turning out so good for her.
Until it all goes wrong
.
Sarah makes the mistake of humiliating Andrew one night and this is something she is going to regret for the rest of her life. Assuming she survives, that is, which is highly doubtful. Because behind the facade of being the cool kid in school, Andrew is a very dangerous boy. A monster, in fact, as Sarah is about to find out.
**This is a novel of extreme horror featuring SA. Do not read if easily shocked.
 ----------------------------------------------

The Tough Questions

Where is your favorite place to write? Read?  Both reading and writing is done in my bedroom/office, my Kindle being on my computer.
What did you want to be when you grew up? Lots of things! Paranormal Investigator first then cryptozoologist! To the point I wrote for a cryptid mag for some 6 months before moving to Spain.
What is one thing you need when you sit down to write? A clear head!

From BOH reader Heather L.
Chili – beans or no beans? Beans!

Who’s your favorite superhero and why? Always had a soft spot for Spiderman. No idea why!

You need to hide a body - who do you call to help you? No one. Less chance of someone snitching on me!

Favorite song to belt out in the shower? Anything by Pink Floyd.

What animal would you be and why? Cat. Totally independent, always get what they want and lots of naps!

Next project (what are you currently working on)? A top secret collaboration with a friend, writing another extreme novel and editing the sequel to They Are All Monsters, my previous extreme book!

Scary movies - complete darkness or all the lights on? Darkness is cool!

Cats or dogs? Cats (ask Fat Cat about that one)

Who would you stalk? Ania Ahlborn. Such a dark, dark mind!

What inspired you to start writing? Bored a few years ago, I decided to write a short story I had in mind. Then wrote another. I showed them to a friend who liked them and suggested I write more. So I did!

How old were you when you wrote your first story? About 35.

What is your favorite book/story you wrote? Oooh, that’s tough but probably The Ghosts of Northgate. That mental hospital holds a special place so I loved writing a book set there!

Who is your current favorite author? Ania Ahlborn, Ronald Malfi.

What is your favorite genre? Probably ghostie/demonic possession.
Favorite horror movie? The Exorcist.

Favorite book of all time? Impossible to say! Maybe Stephen King’s short story collection, Skeleton Crew.

Cake - vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate. Always!

Pizza - pineapple or definitely never on a pizza? Never!

From BOH reader Derek T.
Is there a particular author that inspired you to write horror? Definitely Stephen King and Clive Barker, specifically his Books of Horror.

Are there any things required when you write?, i.e., listening to certain music? an adult beverage? complete silence? stuff like that. Just a clear head.

Skittles or Starburst? Neither!

Do you read or write anything that's not horror? Nope! Although I did toy with the idea of paranormal romance once! 

How do you feel about pants? Necessary!

Dogs, cats or ferrets? Cats.

Mountains or beach? Mountains.

Does pineapple belong on pizza? It belongs nowhere!

Would you go to space? Nope.

Do you eat supper or dinner? Dinner.

Favorite ice cream? Chocolate and caramel.

Were you a good student? Nope!

Who was your childhood crush? Can’t remember!

Your favorite thing on French fries? Gravy.

From BOH reader Shannon E.
What’s something you want to learn/ get better at? Character development

Why did you decide you wanted to be an author? I was bored at home one night and had an idea for a couple of stories. Wrote them, showed them to a friend who suggested I write more. Here we are!

Is there anything you don't eat? Allergic to apples, peaches, tomatoes, cucumber. Otherwise, all good!

If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be? Health, peace in the world, and for my cat to not wake me at 4 in the morning hungry.

If you could have 1 hour to sit down with anyone and talk? Who would it be and what would you talk about? A few years ago I might have said Stephen King, but instead I think I’d choose Ania Ahlborn or Ronald Malfi for obvious reasons!

What makes you unique? Nothing!

What's something about you that no one else knows? As far as I’m aware nothing!

What’s Something You Want to Learn or Wish You Were Better At? Writing!

Know Any Good Jokes? Nope!

What’s Something That Bugs You? Lots of things. People, noise, my cat waking me at 4 in the morning hungry. 

What’s the Most Embarrassing Thing You Can Remember That’s Happened to You? Far too many when drunk.

What’s Your Favorite Place on Earth? My bed.

Who Are the Special People in Your Life? My son, and my FB friends I’ve made over the years.

What’s Something You’re Proud of? Being scared of heights, managing to not have a heart attack while working up a very tall building!

If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be? Stephen King would be pretty cool. In his younger years, of course!

If you could have a superpower what would it be? To be able to put my cat to sleep all night.

What would you do if there was zombie apocalypse right now? Probably die. Get drunk first though.

What were you like as a child? Mischievous!


Additional from me.
What is one tip you would like to share with an aspiring author? Be patient. Writing is a marathon, not a sprint. Finish those short stories, build a back list of books.

Are you a pantser or plotter? Both.

Thank you Justin for stopping by and sharing you book and answers.

If his work speaks to you grab any of his titles here:

 J. Boote - Amazon USA   Justin Boote - Amazon USA   Am I A Monster

And don't forget to sign up for this month's drawing by commenting on this post or go HERE



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Demons, witches and things that go bump in the night with Elizabeth J. Brown 😱

Elizabeth was born in Kent, England. This probably explains her obsession with tea and cake. She currently writes the Brimstone Chorus ser...