Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Chris Besonen has us by The Seams.

 Christopher Besonen #BesonenHorror

I wrote 8 released books (3 novellas, 4 short collections, 1 novella/short collection) and 1 unreleased novella, which I primarily wrote while being legally blind and squinting into my phone for hours/days/months. It was difficult, but I endured through the many aches.
I had never heard of any Horror authors outside of King, Barker, Poe, Lovecraft, Crichton, Harris, Peretti prior to writing my own material so I thought I was putting my stuff up against the greats only. The “Books Of Horror" group made me realize that there was an ocean of other writers out there, so now my TBR has grown massively and I am buried, so it really opened me up to a new world! I quickly realized how tough it is to be seen, so I devote most of my time now to helping promote my peers. I am not sure I help much, but I try…

Uncomfortably Dark   Linktree   Amazon    Godless   Barnes & Noble



The Tough Questions

•    Where is your favorite place to write? Read?
My couch. I have a “spot”, and I do everything from there. Haha!

•    What did you want to be when you grew up?
A Musician. I love music and am extremely passionate about music, above Horror even. I’m just not very talented at music, but like with my writing, I do what I can within my scope of skills. I would attribute my writing abilities primarily to lyric writing over the years and I think my prose reflects that.

•    What is one thing you need when you sit down to write?
The proper mindset. If I am not in the mood to write, it does not flow and shows through. Zoinks!

•    What is one tip you would like to share with an aspiring author?
Just write it. You can go back and fill in the blanks, you do not need the whole story up front. Once you began, you’ll find it starts to flow naturally. Get your main ideas down and make it work, you got this!

•    Are you a pantser or plotter?
I'll admit I had to google this, so Pantser. Although for my first novella, “Troubling Stirrings In Sphere Court” and my first short collection’s story, “Flickerings”, I did draw a few rough maps out so that I didn’t mix things up. I also have a complete “cast list” of hand written names and such of characters/places that appear throughout all of my books.

From BOH reader Heather L.
•    Chili – beans or no beans?
Both, I could eat chili dogs for breakfast, and have!
•    Who’s your favorite superhero and why?
Spiderman. Always has been due to his humor, I think. Fun fact, I am a major arachnophobe though!
•    DC or Marvel and why is it Marvel?
Marvel, because of Spiderman! Also fond of Daredevil since he is dealing with eye issues, I can relate.
•    You need to hide a body - who do you call to help you?
Nobody, that’s how you get caught. ;)
•    Favorite song to belt out in the shower?
Depends on the mood, but I love performing in the shower! Usually some Metal!! \../ sometimes Paramore though.
•    What animal would you be and why?
Likely a Dinosaur, maybe a Rhino.
•    If you were stranded on a deserted island with all your human needs taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you?
Unlimited weed and a pipe/lighter, some way to listen to music.
•    Next project (what are you currently working on)?
Three collaborations, a future collaboration in the works, plus an exciting thing for the community that involves some collaborations that I can’t talk too much about yet. So shhh!
•    Scary movies - complete darkness or all the lights on?
Lights off!
•    Cats or dogs?  Dogs.
•    Who would you stalk?
The same people I’m already stalking…
•    What inspired you to start writing?
Stephen King’s “Revival” and the urge from my wife.
•    How old were you when you wrote your first story?
Story, maybe 21, but never did much with those. I have been writing most of my life though, my English classes/teachers always enjoyed my imagination. I have always written song lyrics too, many unreleased or unused and lost now.
•    What is your favorite book/story you wrote?
Short story “Origin Of Bats” found in “Parables IV”.
•    Who is your current favorite author?
Candace Nola, she is arguably one of the hardest workers in the industry, plus a great writer, nothing but admiration here.
•    What is your favorite genre? Um, Horror… lol
•    Favorite horror movie?
Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead”
•    Favorite book of all time?
Jurassic Park. The first book to scare me, plus it was my introduction to gore in Literature.
•    Cake - vanilla or chocolate? Both, I am a sugar junkie and really need help!!!
•    Pizza - pineapple or definitely never on a pizza? On.
•    Favorite Band?
Talk about answering the impossible. I’m going with the band I listen to the most, As I Lay Dying. Lyrically and musically, they’re really just my go to in any situation or storm of life. But the first CD I ever bought was at like 9 and it was “Liberate” by Zao, the same band that is responsible for me finding AILD, so I MUST mention them as well, they’re still around too.




From BOH reader Derek T.
•    Is there a particular author that inspired you to write horror?
Stephen King’s “Revival”, though my main influences are Clive Barker and Rod Serling. King just always ignited that spark.
•    Are there any things required when you write?, i.e., listening to certain music? an adult beverage? complete silence? stuff like that.
THC. My mind would be a lot less focused without it when writing, it also assists my patience. People think that it enhances the strangeness of my imagination, but my weird tales are just my mind. I also need to be in the mood for writing for it not to feel forced.
•    Skittles or Starburst?
Skittles. Tough call though. I prefer the texture of Skittles more though.
•    Do you read or write anything that's not horror?
Not yet. Lots of lyrics and stuff that normally never gets used.
•    Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island, please discuss.
Uh, cover up. What’s truly there?! Area 52… #StormRhodeIsland
•    How do you feel about pants?
No to jeans, yes to dickies, hell yes to shorts.
•    Dogs, cats or ferrets?  dogs
•    Mountains or beach?
Beach, if I must leave my house.
•    Does pineapple belong on pizza?
It does. Pineapple rights matter.
•    What's your favorite taco?
All, gimme!!
•    Would you go to space?
Not physically.
•    Do you eat supper or dinner?
Dinner
•    Favorite ice cream?
Orange sherbet
•    Were you a good student?
Eh, I graduated… I had moments of being dumb, of course…
•    Who was your childhood crush?
I wasn’t very cultured, probably Jessica Biel.
•    Your favorite thing on French fries?
Fry sauce or ketchup, but gotta have salt!




From BOH reader Shannon E.
•    What’s something you want to learn/ get better at?
Playing music, but I never had the patience to truly learn. I do what I can, same with my writing.
•    Why did you decide you wanted to be an author?
The ending of “Revival” by Stephen King left me shook and questioning everything I believe about this life and the one after. I thought about IF that book were the reality, what would I want left behind from me after death… my 9 books that make up my Puzzle Series is the answer. Those books are what I want my life to mean. If you read those, you get a good idea of who I am and what I stand for, also what I fear.
•    Is there anything you don't eat?
Sure. Plenty of stuff I haven’t tried too.
•    If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be?
For greed and suffering to end, for insects to not exist nor heat, unlimited THC.
•    If you could have 1 hour to sit down with anyone and talk who would it be and what would you talk about?
My ARC team, The Commabusters/Pogo Fam. They are the ones who gave me a moment of their lives when my name was never heard before, I’d just be happy to give them moments of my life in return. What would we talk about? Well, pogo sticks and commas, of course!
•    What makes you unique?
My books, go read them and see a glimpse of my thoughts. I promise you that they’re unlike anything else out there. My reviews back up this claim, I’m just echoing.
•    What's something about you that no one else knows?
Haha, sly try. Nobody can ever know...
•    What’s Something You Want to Learn or Wish You Were Better At?
Being a musician, and a better family man.
•    Know Any Good Jokes?
Yes, but it is a visual one that I cannot do over text, unfortunately.
•    What’s Something That Bugs You?
Bugs. Insects. Creepy crawlies. Also, and primarily, abusers, especially of children or animals.
•    What’s the Most Embarrassing Thing You Can Remember That’s Happened to You?
I remember I once fried my hair with a hair dryer in middle school and was too embarrassed to sharpen my pencil due to the wild look I was sporting. I haven’t had hair in over a decade and do not wish to go back!
•    What’s Your Favorite Place on Earth?
My house. I’m a hermit. I’m most comfortable in my habitat.
•    Who Are the Special People in Your Life?
My family in house and out, my friends/fans, the people that are telling me I am great and should keep going. These are my pillars of inspiration.
•    What’s Something You’re Proud of?
#BesonenHorror
•    If your life were a movie who would play you?
Hopefully somebody with some likeness, some of these biopics are terribly casted.
•    If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be?
My oldest daughter, I don’t understand her in ways that I wish I could. I just really want to be the best dad I can to my kids and I worry consistently that I am not.
•    If you could have a superpower what would it be?
To know everyone’s darkest secrets.
•    What would you do if there was zombie apocalypse right now?
Sit back and wait for the battles. Weapon in one hand, blunt in the other.
•    What were you like as a child?
Weird. A lot hasn’t changed… haha!

Thanks to Fallon Raynes for having me on the blog, I really appreciate it. 🙂 CB.

Thank You, Chris for stopping in! 🙂 

Be sure to check Chris out at any of these locations.  

Uncomfortably Dark   Linktree   Amazon    Godless   Barnes & Noble

Commenting enters you in this month's giveaway or you can use the FORM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Demons, witches and things that go bump in the night with Elizabeth J. Brown 😱

Elizabeth was born in Kent, England. This probably explains her obsession with tea and cake. She currently writes the Brimstone Chorus ser...